Monday, November 30, 2009

RSS Feeds

Now:

I am following some blogs in my blog reader. (only if sent a reminder in my email)

I have many things sent to my personal email automatically. (This I do find convenient)

I now have RSS feeds in my work Outlook account. (I've no idea how long those Microsoft RSS feeds have been sitting in there unread).

I still have bookmarked sites I will visit infrequently.



Query:

IF I have to have a reminder that there is new content for me to go look at, is it really important?



To wit:

I don't have to be reminded to do most things I enjoy. Eat, sleep, walk & play with Pluty, etc.

I don't need extra reminders of things I am compelled to do. Laundry, dishes, grocery shopping.



so,

If I have to be reminded to go look at a website, get the podcast, etc. Do I REALLY "need" this?

Sure, I understand the convenience of it. But what if you didn't watch an episode of a tv show, a football game, a movie? What if you didn't check the headlines, weather, scores? Would any of it really matter? Don't you think the stuff that really matters would somehow be on your mental radar screen anyway?



Discuss:

What are some RSS feeds that I probably can't/shouldn't live without?

Which ones would make me a better librarian?



Reflections on the assignment:

Yep, I can see that we could push information out to patrons.

We could make sure patrons know about a variety of RSS feeds in their areas of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment