Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Blog Readers

Okay, I will expand on my previous post about blog readers.
I don't think that I will be using one. I have set one up. But that is where my use will end.

Back in the dark ages when I read blogs, I found that if I bookmarked the blog to my favorites and gave it a cute name, I could find it whenever I wanted. Simple.
1. Internet browser
2. Click under favorites,
3. Click on "Blog of Choice."
4. Read blog entries or ignore them

After I was introduced to "Delicious," I learned that I could take my favorite bookmarks to any computer I used. Yay!

So, I now have my 23 Things blog and it has a handy gadget. "Blogs you are following"
I can follow blogs from my blog rather than from a blog reader.
But goin' old school, if I want to be in control, I just use my bookmarks.

Here is my reasoning. I follow a blog about uncluttering. I also follow a blog about progressive/liberal politics. I follow a blog by my coworker Larissa. None of these blogs have a ton in common. At least not the reasons I follow them.

So, if I use a blog reader, it sandwiches a post about healthcare reform between a post about cleaning out your garage and a post about Larissa's recent trip to Brazil. It would be like reading a page of Utne Reaer, a page of National Geographic, and then a page from The Nation. This is not how I read. Or at least it is not how I choose to read blogs. If I want to read about Larissa's trip, I will go to her blog and not be interrupted by a post about kitchen gadgets gone bad.

I am merely pointing out that blog readers don't work for me. I know they have a ton of coolio features that I am missing. I know that they purport to make my life oh so much easier. But so does a digital watch with date, time, calendar, calculator, etc. I just choose an analog watch as my preference.

2 comments:

  1. Good point! There are a lot of ways of accomplishing the same goals. Blog readers aren't the only way to bring your online reading to you.

    And I completely understand about not wating to jump from one topic to something else totally unrelated. I use the folders in my blog reader to keep like things together... then read them a folder at a time.

    But if you have a system that already works, that's good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Analog watches are so much cooler, especially when you put them up to your ear.

    ReplyDelete