Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Podcasts

I am a huge fan of Podcasts and have many that I download to my iPod regularly.
I particularly enjoy NPR programs.

After visiting a few of the sites from this 23 Things Assignment, I am convinced that FPL could make good use of podcasting in several areas.

I listened to a very good reading of Jan Brett's book The Mitten from the Worthington Library page. It was well done and enjoyable. We could offer this kind of children's programming from our library as well.

The Denver Public Library offered Podcasts of children reading some familiar nursery rhymes. This was pretty painful. I guess it would be okay if you were the child's parent. But for the casual listener, this was just excrutiating. Let's not do this.

Many of the sites were inactive. I don't know if the website was not working or if they had ceased podcasting all together.

Here are some of the ways we could podcast

stories
nursery rhymes/songs
booktalks (grouped or individually)
book discussion groups
student storytellers could record their stories to promote the Lone Star Storytelling Festival
poetry contest winners reading their work
Tips of the day
something to do with New arrivals

Those are my thoughts. I like the podcasts and hope that we can get the equipment and time to do this on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment