Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Facebook

I am a facebook user....sometimes.

I have an account and usually only check it when my gmail says someone has posted something.

But I do see its value in keeping in touch with far flung friends and family.
I do not see its value in keeping in touch with remote acquaintances or becoming a "fan of CSI: Miami" or some such thing.

I also have a slight problem in understanding all the levels of use and the lack of privacy. I'd like to have a facebook account just for family and have tried to do that in the past by unfriending acquaintances. But then I just get more and more requests from co-workers to be friends and I don't want to ignore them for fear of being "mean" or "a bad coworker." But really, I just want my family to have an easy way to see photos of a trip, get the latest on my daughter's college hunt, or keep up with my parents' health concerns.

Unfortunately, I will get bogged down with stuff from people who wouldn't have sent me the info via email. I like to use Facebook because I can get updates out to lots of family with one entry. Bam! it's out there for them to read at their leisure. But I end up hiding lots of friends who overload my facebook account with really trivial stuff. I will probably end up unfriending them over time.

As for libraries: seems like a good way for interested folks to link in. Get info, photos, updates, book reviews, etc. A good medium for that kind of thing. I like it that FPL has a facebook page and would like to see it get a lot of use.

No comments:

Post a Comment